18 May, 2010

Tutorial Wednesday

How about making your own Texture Plates?
Today is Tutorial Wednesday over at Bugaboo Stamps and it is my turn to share with you. I have seen or heard of this technique before but I'm just getting around to using it. So easy and the possibilities are endless. I made my own texture plate and you can too. You will need some cardboard (I used the cardboard pieces that come in the packages from (SU Designer Paper) I bought the chipboard flower pieces at a LSS but you could punch or die cut your own. I aso used Modge Podge to glue 2 pieces of the cardboard.
Modge Podge works best for me for this step (you could use any white glue) I glued two pieces together for the base and two pieces together to cut the flourish piece out. All the pieces should be the same width.



Arrange the different elements out....



Cut pieces so they fit flat.

And you have a texture plate to use at "0" cost . Just think of all the fun you can have.

Since I have the Big Shot the Sandwich consists of The Multi Purpose Platform, an acrylic cutting plate. the Home made embossing/texture plate your paper (right side up), the rubber embossing pad and lastly the second acrylic plate. Play around with scrap paper first to figure out what works with your machine. Look at that acrylic plate. How much do I use my machine? A Lot. This is proably 2 months worth, maybe 3. But it still works fine.



This is what the finished piece looks like. I used Distress Ink to distress all the edges of the pieces of the card.


I also ran the pattern paper through the machine with the texture plate, but then, by the time I finished adding everything, you couldn't see the results.


Here's a close-up of the inside.


The front. I just realized that I did not ink between the holes for the faux stitching. Big Duh. I need to fix that.


And here is a shot of the card opened up.

This card also fit into several Challenges at different sites this week. The image here is Bugaboo Stamps and the paper is DCWV and the buttons are from a local scrapbook store.
Challenges:
Colour Create: use the colors Khaki, Aqua, Brown and Cream
Dutch Dare Card Challenges: a supper cool sketch
Cute Card Thursday: Make a card for someone special
Crafty Cardmakers: Inside Out, Decorate the inside of the card as wll as the outside. How perfect is an easel card for this?
Sew Many Cards: Make an easel card
Stamp Something Challenges: Celebrate Something
Have a great week and come back Friday to see what I do for the Bugaboo Friday Freebie and Saturday for a new Bugaboo Challenge. It should be fun.

15 comments:

Jenny said...

Great idea!! Love the finished look!! Thanks for sharing!!

Rae Anne said...

OMG, I've never heard of such a thing, but this BRILLIANT Melissa! Your background plate is so clever, and your card with it ROCKS!!! :D MWAH!

Jackie Randolph said...

Oh how fun! I must give this a try!
Thanks for sharing with us. Love your card and how the beautiful background just pops on the card.

~Jeri~ said...

Very nice card! Love the colors you used and all the detail!! The tutorial was wonderful!

Thanks for joining us at Sew Many Challenges!

Anita said...

This is a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing it and your wondkerful card. Thanks for playing along with us at Sew Many Challenges this week. Hugs, Anita

Jodie Mackrell said...

very very cool tutorial ! love the outcome !

kim.mom said...

Love your card! AWESOME tip! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing with us at SMC!

carol said...

fabulous card, thankyou for joining in with SMC this week, fab tip too,x carol

coldwaters2 said...

Wow this is great how wonderful of you to show us this great mini tutorial the card the embossing and colours are fabby thank you for sharing this with us at SMC this week.
Hugs
Lorraine x

Dena said...

What a neat technique! Thanks for the tutorial! Your card is very pretty!
Thanks for joining Colour Create this week!
Hugs, Dena

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Wow! Your card is adorable and your tutorial is FANTASTIC! Thanks!

Thanks for participating in Sew Many Challenges this week!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Fabulous card! Love the great take on the sketch... the cute images... the embossed BG... Thanks for the tutorial! :o)

Unknown said...

Great tutorial! And a lovely card. Thanks for joining us at DDCC.
xx Monica

Made by Mandy said...

Great tutorial for making your own texture plate.

Thank you for joining us on our latest challenge at Craft Cardmakers :)

ROCIO'S PLACE said...

what a clever idea thanks for sharing